Should the police be held to a higher standard? Cops drive around town looking for opportunities to issue citations and bring in revenue for the state and city. I’ve seen cops on their phones, laptop and even texting while driving. But who tickets the ticketers?Speeding will be a thing of the past in the future and civilians or drones will be able to issue parking tickets. Breathalyzer interlocks could easily go into every car and if drunk drivers keep killing innocent families, it’ll probably happen sooner than we think.
Imagine all cops fighting crime, real crime, crime with victims instead of what some are spending their time on now, revenue generation. Things will have to change though, because if these are supposed to be our heroes, then we need to hold them to account.
Here are some ideas:
- No longer allow cops to use fear for one’s life as a justification for killing unarmed civilians. Shooting someone with a phone in their hand and claiming you saw a gun is 2nd degree murder.
- Unlawful murder settlements will be paid by the police officer, the retirement fund and/or insurance paid for by the fund or officer, not the general public via taxation.
- Cops should be held to a higher standard and do the maximum amount of prison time for any crime they commit.
- Fire all racist police officers and anyone knowingly not turning in a racist coworker.
- The immediate firing of any police officer proven of making a false report and prison time.
The alternative is to keep doing what we’re doing, where an officer gets killed every week and about three civilians per day. This isn’t a Us Vs. Them situation, the fact that we’ve created such a large schism in a cop and a civilian is revolting. Protect and Serve, at least, that’s what it used to be.
If these words resonate, share them.